Monday, January 31, 2011

Ain't No Moutain High Enough!

In only 20 days Tayler and I will be running 13.1 in Austin at the Livestrong Marathon.  Looking at the course details we got a little scared because over the half the race is UPHILL.  We live on the South Plains.  Plains = flat.  So, we decided to go out to the canyon and run "hills". We haven't visited the canyon since this summer.  I have to say the "hills" kicked my booty, my thighs, my hams, my everything.  I can only pray that the hills in Austin aren't as steep!

HILL #1 - climbing out of the canyon - Mile #1

HILL #2 - Going back into the canyon and climbing BACK out Miles 3-4


Top of Hill #2 staring at the LAST ONE - Hill #3 somewhere around mile 5ish

I wasn't smart like Tayler.  She took a GU before attempting the last hill.  It sucked the life out of me.  My pace slowed to almost a 12 minute mile.  I thought it would never end.  I think I could have walked it faster.



This is the view from the top of HILL #1.  Going back DOWN into the canyon.  There are some beautiful houses.  It is very pretty in the summer time. 


This crazy looking house was designed by some famous sculptor.  It is made totally of steel. 

The majority of the running was on a Farm to Market road with no shoulder.  I found out that trail running isn't for me.  This is what we ran on to keep from being flattened by a truck.  A little over 8 miles later we made it back to the car.  My final pace was 9:50.  My goal is to stay under 10 for Austin.  It wasn't pretty, but I know I can do better. 

I won't be running outside for the next few days.  A winter storm is blowing in as I type and watch the Bachelor.  My husband is suppose to be studying but instead he enjoys making fun of the crying girls.

On a different note, my parents got back from their trip to Vegas.  Remember the trip my mom won and chose to take my dad over me?  Well, I didn't follow Nellie's advice and take back her Christmas presents because I was afraid I wouldn't get that cool North Face stuff and my Canon Rebel.  They had a great time and since my dad is such a high roller, they brought back a little moolah to share with me.  Sometimes it is just great being an only child. 

Snow day tomorrow?  Should I tell my hubby about the cash or shower myself with presents at the outlet malls in 20 days?  Just kidding.  I will share.  A little. 

I ran with my Spi belt and carried my camera.  It didn't bother me.  I forgot about it within the first mile. 

What do you carry when you run? 

2 comments:

  1. Nice job - it takes some serious motivation to go and seek out hills! My neighborhood is nothing but huge hills so I am jealous you live in a flat area. I am a major high maintenance runner and NEED my garmin, ipod, and camelbak over 6 miles. I carry my camera sometimes too. I'm not sure I would be able to share the money with my hubby....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some hilly hills. I'm a little disapointed that there was no mention of clothes, jewelry, or scented candles in this post. No bling at all.

    ReplyDelete