Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sunday Shopping

Disclaimer:  I am not a professional nutritionist or dietitian.  Therefore, you cannot sue me like that guy sued Mickey Ds for making him fat.  However, I have researched a lot about eating healthy throughout the years and the information listed below is merely my conclusion after such said research.



Today, Mom and I went to Sam's.  Mostly she needed stuff for their business and my strong muscles.  If you have been reading my blog, then you realize this is my third trip in 7 days.  Wow!  I must plan better. 

I decided that today I would talk about what my nonprofessional opinion is about the GAME ON DIET.  I can't give my complete true opinion yet, because I haven't read the book.  It is sold out at Barnes and Noble and I am too lazy to drive across town to the Hastings.  My SIL, said she would let me borrow hers, and since I'm cheap that way, I will wait. 

I did read this recently ( I forgot my source...please don't sue me for plagiarism)  Foods linked to weight loss in order of impact were yogurt, nuts, fruit, whole grains, and vegetables.  Yea! Game On!

It is about creating a healthy lifestyle.  Ridding yourself of the chemicals and "stuff" found in processed foods and my much loved diet dps.  I am not a vegan, vegetarian or organic nut.  I am a meat eater.  I actually LOVE beef, but red meat is harder for your body to process (slows down your metabolism and is typically higher in fat)  Therefore, I try to limit my beef intake to once a week 

It is about portion control and eating foods that have a low Glycemic Index.

What is the Glycemic Index?

Not all carbohydrate foods are created equal, in fact they behave quite differently in our bodies. The glycemic index or GI describes this difference by ranking carbohydrates according to their effect on our blood glucose levels. Choosing low GI carbs - the ones that produce only small fluctuations in our blood glucose and insulin levels - is the secret to long-term health reducing your risk of heart disease and diabetes and is the key to sustainable weight loss.

Man, can you tell I'm a teacher?  Here's the DL (down low for those who aren't as ghetto as me):
When choosing your carb for your meal, fruits generally have a lower GI than the other carbs.  For example, the GI of an apple ranges between 30-40.  Anything below 55 is considered low.  A baked white potato is almost 100.  Now, if you eat the skin, the GI goes down. Don't ask me why, because I don't eat the skin, so I didn't research it.  Something about that's where are the nutrients are, blah blah. 

Here are some cool websites to help you with GI

South Beach Diet - this is where I first heard about the GI (8 years ago) and where I got the original recipe for the delicious Quiche Cups .  It is broken down into 3 categories, Low GI, Med GI  and High GI (STAY AWAY!)

Glycemic Index - here you can do a search for a specific food

Crossfit - this is how my hubby has lost about 30 pounds since January.  Crossfit is a type of workout, but they also teach you about GI

The Glycemic Gourmet - here you can get a printable shopping list of 101 low GI foods.  Warning, they try to get you to buy their cookbook.  You have to give them your email, then they prompt you to buy the cookbook, twice.  Say no if you don't want it, and the list will be emailed.  You can download and print. 

Enough about the carbs and GI, let's talk proteins.  Fish, Chicken and Turkey are better choices than red meat.  Greek Yogurt (low GI, 14 grams of protein) is a good choice.  Cheese is a good choice (low GI), but watch the fat content.  Laughing Cow is the best brand of cheese for watching your weight.  See here where I talk about Babybels and Wedges. 

My mom buys Low-Sodium Starkist Tuna Packets for her "snack" protein.  I'm not a big fan of tuna, but if you are, it is GREAT choice. 

Here is my morning snack...it works great for me at school.  Sometimes the I eat a banana instead of the apple.

I lost 2.6 pounds this week.  Gained one pound back after my "free day".  I am still getting my weight loss bonus.  

I hope this helps your Sunday Shopping. 

No comments:

Post a Comment